- Download the codec binary file from http://asterisk.hosting.lv/bin/codec_g729-ast14-gcc4-glibc-pentium4.so
- Copy it to the /usr/lib/asterisk/modules folder.
- Restart the Asterisk: /etc/init.d/asterisk restart
Estimating the Number of G.729 Channels RequiredIf you choose to purchase the G.729 license from Digium you will need to compute the number of G.729 channels required by your configuration. You can estimate the required value by using the following information:
- a call between two SIP extensions usually requires two G.729 channels, unless the pass-thru mode is used (http://voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+G.729+pass-thru), in which case it doesn’t require any G.729 channel.
- a call between a SIP extension and a Zaptel/DAHDI extension/trunk requires one G.729 channel.
- a call to Voice Mail or another Asterisk service where IVR messages must be played requires one G.729 channel.